The Environmental Health Services Department is enhancing its recycling program and encourages residents to bring their recyclables to 4501 Padre Boulevard, every Saturday from 8-11AM at City Hall. Changes to the recycling practice have been made to make recycling more efficient. Please see the following changes:
- CARDBOARD: Brown corrugated boxes, food and shoe boxes that are either brown or gray on the inside. No boxes that are coated with a wax or plastic and no boxes that are white on the inside.
- NEWSPAPER: Entire newspaper including the slick surface inserts (e.g. paper). Please remove any plastic bags or tried straps. NO magazines: Time, National Graphic, Phone Books etc.
- ALUMINUM: Cans Only.
- PLASTIC: We will ONLY be accepting 1 and 2’s. They need to be separated by numbers. These type of plastics have a recycling symbol with a number in it. Plastic Bags: Only grocery bags, dry cleaning bags, and newspaper type bags are recyclable. The bags must be clean, and please remove all items and or receipts. All other plastic bags, food wrapper etc. are trash. Please Note: Remove all bottle caps and RINSE OUT the milk/juice bottles
- BOTTLE CAPS: Please Note: Remove all bottle caps and place in separate bag. Also, RINSE OUT the milk/juice bottles and place in a separate bag.
- PAPER: White paper, includes all originally white sheets of paper with or without print: rubber bands, paperclips, or staples, do not have to be removed.
- MIXED OFFICE PAPER: includes colored paper, i.e.: posted notes, invoices, (3ply/3color), file folders, mail envelopes, business cards, and junk mail with or without plastic windows and shredded paper. (shredded office paper need to be in bags)
- INK CARTRIDGES: that are made from reworked waste or old printer cartridges.
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES: only nickel, lithium Ion, and lead. NO one time use batteries accepted.